Friday 2 March 2012

Tide In/Tide Out Katie Shipley

When I was approximately 3 months away from finishing my University course and moving back to North Wales I vowed I’d never return to Stoke-on-Trent again, I was glad I was leaving and glad to see the back of the miserable place. Not too long after making this statement I had my first encounter with AirSpace, it was in the form of an A6 prompt card, adorned with a red potato print advertising an exhibition, which had been left on my studio desk at Staffordshire University. Not long after this I was selected for the Tide In/Tide Out exhibition, an opportunity I jumped at. Since then I have seen, and been lucky enough to be a part of, the gallery growing and expanding, from two recent graduates running two rooms at a disused pottery factory, to an internationally known and professionally run gallery based in an impressive building in the City Centre. I have ended up staying in Stoke-on-Trent for the past 6 years, my experiences with AirSpace gallery and all the people I’ve met through them has had a lasting impact on me as an artist and also personally, it is a major part of my life and I couldn’t imagine Stoke-on-Trent without it.

Tide In/Tide Out was an extension of my graduate show; as such it was my first professional exhibition. I don’t really remember much about the actual process of the exhibition, but I can say that it encouraged me to apply for further exhibitions and I was exhibiting mutations of the work for over a year afterwards. Since Tide In/Tide Out I have exhibited across the UK and abroad, I have worked as a self employed artist delivering workshops, large scale projects and commissions. I am still a studio artist at AirSpace and spent a few years working as part of the Gallery board. AirSpace undoubtedly had a major impact on my artistic career and still does.

Throughout the last few years I’ve been lucky enough to experience working with several artist led spaces, some still exist and some don’t. The most important thing for me as an artist is the people in the gallery, be they the curators, studio artists or just people popping in for a cuppa. When these people are approachable and friendly, willing to make you a drink and chat about what you are doing or to help you, this makes the whole experience positive. Even if nobody turns up to see the show at least you have got something out of it. This is what AirSpace has got, passionate individuals surrounding the gallery. (Plus the bonus of a committed group of followers who always turn up for shows!)

What role do I consider a contemporary art gallery has in a modern city?
• Student retention (I’m an example of this)
• Tourism (lots of people have been to AirSpace that otherwise never would have come to the city)
• Consultation (people attached to AirSpace have been involved in many other citywide projects and initiatives, making them successful)
• Opportunities (for local, national and international artists)
• Put the city on the map (AirSpace is known and well thought of internationally)
• A place to go (many people drop into the gallery just for a chat)
• Education (visitors/school/college/professional through projects workshops and visits)
• Entertainment (the gallery has held a variety of events from fundraising fairs to music nights)
• Jobs (not many, but a few)
• And many more I’m sure I just can’t think of right now…

I’d like to see AirSpace continue to provide high quality and professional artistic experiences that are accessible to all. I think this is a really exciting time for AirSpace, lots of new faces and new ideas. I have loved the exhibitions and projects that have taken place at AirSpace so far and hope to be around to support any future endeavours!

No comments:

Post a Comment